Next Steps for Approved CSTs
You’ve now reached the finish line to your agile journey by becoming a Certified Scrum Trainer®!
This is a monumental milestone that allows you to certify individuals as Scrum Masters, so they may positively influence the way they work in their organization by adopting the Scrum framework. You will start a ripple effect by serving aspiring and practicing Scrum practitioners who, in turn, will serve their team and others.
What happens after you’ve obtained your coveted, hard-earned CST® designation?
- Begin transforming the world of work:You may start scheduling and posting certification courses, independently or with our approved Registered Education Providers® (REPs®), on our highly viewed Course Search page. You will be able to impact your students the same way a CST was able to impact you at the beginning of your journey.
- Expand outreach and make a positive impact: As servant leaders, CSTs strive to help others on their own journey, whether it’s becoming trainers themselves or better Scrum practitioners than they were before. You may serve these individuals through co-training and mentorship, allowing them to further develop their knowledge and facilitation skills. Scrum Alliance® also proudly serves its CST community by supporting initiatives that help further its mission, such as offering pro-bono classes or organizing events.
- Connect with your people: Scrum Alliance’s diverse trainer community is made up of subject-matter experts. These experts come from all over the world, they come from diverse professional backgrounds, and are all tenured in using Scrum. These are the folks that were on the same journey as you before they became an official CST. Scrum Alliance promotes connection and collaboration by offering its trainers deep discounts off Global Scrum GatheringsSM every year in North America and Europe. A day before the Gathering commences, you will join others at the Trainers & Coaches Retreat for a day of community building, thoughtful discussion, networking, and Scrum Alliance updates. It is an opportunity for the community to meet face-to-face to collaborate and share ideas while having fun!
Continue your professional development: Although you’ve achieved this important milestone by finally becoming a CST, we understand that continuous improvement never ends. Scrum Alliance offers its trainers free access to the Oxford Review, so that they may use up-to-date research in a rapidly changing world of work.
Expand your offerings to include other certification courses:
- You can expand your training offerings beyond CSM and apply to offer Certified Scrum Product Owner® (CSPO®) courses. See the CSPO Submission Guidelines for the next steps.
You may also apply to become a Path to CSP® Educator that can teach Advanced Certified ScrumMaster℠ (A-CSM℠), Certified Scrum Professional® - ScrumMaster (CSP®-SM), Advanced Certified Scrum Product Owner℠ (A-CSPO℠), and Certified Scrum Professional® - Product Owner (CSP®-PO) courses.
License Agreement and Fees
Once you become a CST, you will be asked to agree to the most recent CST license agreement (terms and conditions) before being able to post courses and certify students. The agreement outlines the appropriate use of Scrum Alliance’s owned marks, marketing practices, teaching requirements, and more. This agreement is intended to promote a quality training experience for the student and ensure ethical business practices.
Approved CSTs will also be required to submit an annual fee of $5,000 USD (prorated) along with their accepted agreement. These fees are invested to support Scrum Alliance programs and initiatives.
We encourage CSTs to continue their professional development as both Scrum practitioners and overall trainers by fulfilling renewal requirements every two years. CSTs will be required to submit Scrum Education Units® (SEUs®) in the following categories:
- Scrum and Professional Knowledge
- Professional Development and Presentation Skills
- Community Engagement and Change Management
CSTs are also required to train at least 10 courses, attend one Scrum Alliance event (i.e. Global Scrum Gathering, Regional Scrum Gathering, or Agile Coaching Retreat), and fulfill an outreach requirement in service to the community within the two-year cycle.
Upon submitting their renewal requirements, CSTs will also need to reaccept the updated version of the CST license agreement and pay a $5,000 USD annual fee.